Sunday, April 4, 2010

The New Forty

It was my birthday yesterday. I  woke up thanking God for having given me a good life and prayed that I will continue to enjoy many more healthy and happy years ahead of me. It was just another day for me. Nothing special. Well, not quite....... I had a few friends calling and wishing me good health and good luck. A very good friend brought a huge present on the eve of my birthday. My husband took both my mum and I out for lunch at the Darulaman Golf Club. That's about it. No exotic holidays or a romantic candle-light dinner in a fancy restaurant, no lavish and expensive gifts. Do I sound like I'm missing out on all these extravagance? Honestly, no.

I had my share of surprises and celebrations which were very meaningful and unforgettable but they are a thing of the past. I now look forward to the simple pleasures that life has to offer. It gives me great joy  to wake up to the sound of birds chirping merrily in the trees, to smell the fresh and sweet scent of jasmine drifting in the air, to see the flowers blooming bright and beautiful in the morning sun. These may seem very ordinary to some people but they never fail to lift my spirits and keep me happy for the rest of the day.

I thought my share of surprises were over until I received an e-card in my mail this morning.  My husband sent a beautiful pink e-card. I must applaud him on his success in designing it without my "expert assistance". When I enquired about the late arrival, he said we should subscribe to broadband to speed up the delivery!!!!!! I really can't tell whether he was serious or just pulling my leg. Whatever it was, it brought a smile to my face.

I read somewhere that "life begins at 40" is obsolete. Apparently, the new 40 is 60! Hey, I have a couple of years to go before I begin my life! SPLENDID.

Picture taken on my birthday with my "hair" down

Picture with "hair" tied into a pony tail

No comments:

Post a Comment